Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I'm losing my mind - and that's not all I'm losing!!

So, there's big, giant calendar on the wall in the kitchen - right next to the whiteboard.

And on the whiteboard is written the name and phone number of a couple who asked us to sub for them at the temple.

And under that is the date they needed us to sub. (Tuesday the 29th)

And under that is the gal's email address.

And none of that info is on the calendar.

But I've been looking at that whiteboard for 2 weeks now.

And all day today I thought the schedule seemed light - I seemed to have nothing pressing. I sat in my room after school and finished the book I was reading. (Parenthetically it's not all that good - the one by David Baldacci.) (And I should have been entering my grades - due tomorrow night at midnight.)

Then I walked home.

And checked my email and started dinner.

And got a call from the Tuesday night supervisor at the temple - wondering where we were.

Talk about feeling bad!

Dad said, "We're doing too much!"

We have been discussing it off and on all evening. And I said, "Well, maybe we should make it a rule that we won't take on anything without running it by the each other first." (I agreed to give blood yesterday - and then just didn't go!)

And later Dad said, "The trouble is, I don't want to be thought of as programmed and scheduled as some people we know." (Who probably wouldn't blow off sub days at the temple!!))

And he also said, "That's why people move away."

I read Sunset magazine in the salle de bain and thought, "We need to take off for a weekend to one of these great places they are showing in this magazine."

Maybe I will do that.

After school ends, and we have the wedding, and we go to South America, and we do the Hood to Coast.

Wait, then it will be time for school to start!

This seems to be a circular discussion.

Thanks for listening!!

I'm not looking for ideas or advice - just sympathy!!


8 comments:

Eliza said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. That is embarrassing, and I can totally identify with the overload feeling.

Also, thanks for specifying that you were in the bathroom while reading Sunset magazine. :)

Betsy said...

we're in the same boat.

We'd like to go off on a vaca(sans kids) too.

Harry is right: all this busyness makes me want to move to get away from it all.

grannybabs said...

Eliza,

I didn't want anyone to think I was just sitting around reading magazines!!

And I read the Times while eating!!

Betsy,

Just take your vacation!!

Karen said...

It does seem like there is just one thing after another! I feel for you.

hanner said...

It's okay to just sit around and read magazines.

And I can completely relate. I can't remember anything if I didn't put it in my planner. You could start using Google calendar and sharing it with Dad to coordinate. Robbie created one for us, and I imported my work calendar from Outlook to it, so now we know when each person is working, in class, etc. Very snazzy. But maybe that's a technology overload for you.

amy k said...

I have spaced people and things so many times. I have a planner that I write EVERYTHING in sitting on my dresser and I still forget. Jake is even worse. I can remind him up to two hours before and he still gets too busy. (I say forgetful).

I think we all could use a little vaca.

Also can you even imagine life without all the busyness? I can't, I've never had it.

Phoebe said...

Even if you move away, you just get a break for a few weeks. Then people figure out that you are nice and dependable (most of the time:) and then you are busy again. Trust me, I have learned this many times over.
You should take a vacation.

Alice said...

All of this leads me to the conclusion that we need to schedule (hahahahaha) down time for ourselves and make sure that we do it. So many times the leaders (authorities, not local) have told us that our families are more important than meetings and that meetings should have a specific purpose and be short and sweet. That lasts for about as long as it takes me to type this. We need to be reminded that we all only have so much time. A recent conference talk addressed this subject. I can't remember who spoke but it was about choosing the BEST things to do in life, over the others things that still could be GOOD. If I knew how to link, I would link you to the talk.