Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Family Furniture Follies??


Dad - and others in the family - are fond of poking fun at some of my furniture purchases. Starting with the cedar chest I bought on LayAway at the then antique store on Foothill where Dr. Demotor is now - and that one is most remembered for the way I picked it up in the van - and knocked over a post or something when I went forward too far - but I know that Phoebe still enjoys it - and finds it useful for storage!! - to my latest purchase at Marshall's yesterday, but I want to defend my choices!

Dad and others might not even notice these items, but I usually have to have them carry then into the house for me. Over the years I've bought a number of antiques - mostly from Kaleidescope - that I actually have a fondness for still - and I believe they are still functional. The above blanket chest - which was scoffed at, I know - holds my table cloths - and in close proximity to the tables in our house too!! How much more functional can you get?


We hauled this home from Oregon last year - I got a good deal on it at the Joann's in Lake Oswego - and Dad was muttering the whole time he loaded it into the truck. But as you can see, it is very functional in my sewing/computer/laundry room. It's best feature is that it folds down, so it doesn't always take up a lot of space - except when you need a lot of space!


I should have spread out a pattern and some fabric on it - that is when it is most useful - and the height is perfect - I can sit and work to save my knees and there is no strain on my back!


So Dad said little when I had him carry this footstool in from the trunk of my car - I am tired of always having to rig something up on the couches in the house so that I can sit and elevate my legs - after I convince him that we do need a classy ottoman, we can get something that costs more - because I'm pretty sure a classy ottoman won't be cheap - until then, this set up is portable and very useful - albeit a little tacky looking. It can be hidden too! (I actually want one of those that doubles as storage - like I said, it's all part of a plan.)

I wonder if I will ever convince him that we could use a coffee table??

5 comments:

Diane said...

I admire you for your purchases. They are all good ones. In my opinion there is always, always a need for one's feet to be up. This has become more of a desire the older I get.

(I am wearing my apron as I type. Love it!)

Eliza said...

Oh Mom, you and your furniture. I have an affinity for furniture too. Especially eclectic furniture. I think I got it from you!

grannybabs said...

Well, built ins have their place - as does minimalism - but like Bonny says, you need those things about you that bring you joy!!

Alice said...

I will just be glad to have my own furniture one day. It gets a little monotonous to go from Post to Post and have the same ugly furniture everytime. I am definitely for a classy ottoman. I put my feet up on the coffee table sometimes but don't tell my children.

HPT said...
This comment has been removed by the author.