Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Learning to take it easy


Well, looks like I've always known how to take it easy!! And the last 3 weeks have been instructive indeed as I have really done very little that was strenuous. I confess that in the days leading up to my surgery, I did run around shopping, doing my visiting teaching, sewing aprons and doing laundry and odd jobs, but since then, I've really let others "do the walking" if you follow my drift.

But "the party's over" and "it's time to call it a day" as they say in the song. I do feel very rested - and part of the requirements for my going back to work is that I have a slot of time in the middle of the day to put my feet up, ice my knees and rest. The key will be to see if my ankles stay thin!

It has not been hard to tell myself to let something go - hope I remember that lesson. I went to my classroom today to enter my grades into the computer. I was tempted to sit there and check my email and get that cleaned up - but I decided the emails have been there awhile already - what's a few more days? (My subs have done a good job and the room looked great. I suspect I will be needing to spend time getting some kids back on track - but I can sit and do that!)

I have caught up on correspondence, bill paying and sorting and filing - things you can do sitting down. And I've gone through a lot of books I said I wanted to get read. I've enjoyed visiting on the phone with Leslie and Alice - and enjoyed spending a weekend with Mom, Donna and Mary. And I even joined Twitter - ostensibly to follow Hannah and Robbie on their trip - but I don't quite "get" Twitter, so I'm not sure how much I will do with it.

Dad and I have enjoyed playing "This is how it will be when we retire" - except I suspect retirement will be much busier!

Let's see what I post next Monday night!!


No comments: