Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Another year comes to a close


It's the beginning of the end when the awards assembly happens. Once again I presented the Charles Barrick Award - now they give two - one to a boy and one to a girl. Both were "my kids" - that is, they were in Special Education. The young lady has serious health issues so really doesn't get direct services from me - just a yearly IEP with all the necessary modifications and accommodations. The young man is autistic and OCD - and has made great strides. I will miss him - but he is a Boy Scout and asked if I'd be his counselor for a couple of Merit Badges, so I will get to see him. Of course, I forgot to ask someone to take a picture!!

The young lady in the middle is one of "my kids" too - she got the Lyle West Award - one they have set aside for SPED students who have worked exceptionally hard to overcome their disability. She is a great little girl - I have high hopes for her. She got the Choir Spirit Award too.


Some more of "my kids" and one of the other SPED teachers - it's funny how I am so involved with these kids lives - and then they go on to the high school - I run into them in town - and can't remember their names!! (Some times I don't even recognize them because they "grow up" so much!!) The hazards of living in the town where you teach!


This is my Study Skills class - a very diverse group - but the best behaved class I've had in a long time. I really will miss them!


Tomorrow is promotion - I had 20 8th graders this year - and they all managed to pull a 2.0 and promote to the high school. I've had a streak of success for 2 years now - and it's very gratifying.

But I'm going to enjoy my summer vacation!!

No comments: