Sunday, June 21, 2009

My Dad!!


While doing all my June Father's Month posts, I lamented that I didn't have shots of just me with my Dad. Bonny pointed out the error and posted an oft-posted shot of me with my Dad on his birthday some time in the 80's I think.

Then I found this - while searching for a different photo, of course. But once again it's a birthday shot - this is 1995 - maybe I'm always the one with the cakes??

On this Father's Day, I remember my dad fondly. I'm sure I had cross words with my dad, I'm sure I got annoyed with him, I'm sure I poked fun at him, I'm sure I disregarded his counsel at times.

But I choose not to remember those times. I choose to remember the good times. Dad driving us to stake dances and sleeping in the car until we were through and then driving us home. Dad making yellow cakes on Sunday - using duck eggs from the Embertsons. Dad braiding my hair and ironing my dresses. Dad helping me build my Brazilian Coffee Plantation project for 6th grade. Dad always tearing up on Mother's Day when he talked about his mother. Dad teaching me to drive a stick shift one Sunday afternoon. Dad telling someone that no daughter of his had ever worn mascara - oh how we chuckled - figured if he didn't even notice it, we were pretty safe. Dad taking us to minor league ball games and buying us candy bars. Dad doing the printing for me on my Life of the Bee poster for Science in Junior High. Dad getting up very early to take us to Seminary - and then to the 3 different schools that Joan, Lyn and I went to. Dad making cradles for dolls for the Handmade Items Booth. Dad taking Eliza for a walk when she was quite small and had accidentally grabbed a curling iron that had been left on the bathroom counter - walking with her until her tears subsided and bringing back a smiling little girl.

I could go on and on. The thing about good memories is that they last forever!

My dad was indeed a special man.

2 comments:

hanner said...

I really like this post. Thanks Mom!

Karen said...

Very nice Barbara. A great tribute to your father.