Tuesday, November 03, 2009

My Town


I fell and hurt my knees a little over a year ago. And I had surgery a little over 6 months ago. Prior to the fall and the surgery, I had been in the habit of walking to and from school on most days. But I have not been walking to and from school for 9 or 10 months - it just got too painful.

So today I walked to and from school. And I really enjoyed it. I was thinking about how much I love this town. I love the old houses, I love the beautiful flower gardens that seem to abound, I love the many trees that flourish here, and right now I love the brilliant blue skies that weren't even diminished by the fires that hit Diamond Bar today.

(The above photo was taken a couple of years ago, but today looked just like that.)

And as I walked home, I loved browsing in the storefronts on Foothill, stopping in at the wonderful little apron store, and checking out the goods at Country Cottage. I also eyeballed the windows of a new store, Victoria's Cache - which apparently isn't open yet - it's in the spot formerly occupied by the antique store that was mostly junk - and overpriced junk too!

I am teaching a high school student at his home on lower Primrose 2 afternoons a week, so I headed there. By the time I was walking home, it was 5:30 and night was falling fast. But I love that I wasn't a bit nervous about walking up Primrose in the dusk - even if Dad was coming home at the same time and gave me a lift at Greystone!

Hannah posted about loving Monrovia too - and I was thinking that it's truly a little "Gem City of the Foothills!"

I'm looking forward to tomorrow morning's walk!!

1 comment:

bonny with a Y said...

i love monrovia too -- and i miss it. (but i don't miss the smog and the heat). but i do miss the small town feel and the old houses and the nice people and the diversity and the awesome ward and stake.