Wednesday, May 23, 2012

A birthday memory


When I turned 22,  my sister and my roommates and some home teachers we had engineered a surprise birthday party for me.  It was not only the first surprise party I ever had, it was only about the 2nd or 3rd birthday party I'd ever had!!  (Birthday parties were not de rigeur in the Clayton household when I was growing up.  Actually lots of people didn't have parties, so I didn't feel particularly deprived - I sort of didn't know any different.)

When I was at BYU my birthday always fell sometime during finals, so it pretty much got neglected - that's why I was indeed surprised when this one got pulled off with nary a suspicion from me.

It's not really a good photo of them, but Alice made matching jumpers for us - and we wore them with navy blue tee shirts - this was when tee shirts for women were just coming into vogue - and you thought women had always been wearing tee shirts, didn't you??

The jumpers were a canvasy kind of cotton - navy, gold and white plaid - and I loved them!!  We rode the Greyhound bus home that year - and wore our matching jumpers on the trip - and thought we were pretty spiffy too!

This year I have my autism class from 4 to 7 on my birthday - and then Harry and I have an appointment at 7:15 for him to be set apart - he's on the high council once more.  But I don't feel particularly deprived - I'm just happy to be alive and well and not feeling too terribly old!!

No matching jumpers though!

2 comments:

Amy Girl said...

Happy Day aunt Barbara!

Alice said...

Happy Birthday to a dear sweet sister. Hope it was a happy day. See you soon.