Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Out of the mouths of 8th grade babes!

As many of you know, I teach middle school students with identified learning disabilities.  My students by and large are bright and interesting.  They just learn "differently" and always have.  As a consequence, they have developed certain habits and coping skills over time.  Sometimes they can be really hilarious though.  And I hope it doesn't look like I am poking fun, but this incident makes me smile every time I tell it!

The students in my 8th grade collaborative Language Arts class are supposed to write a persuasive essay that is for or against animal testing.  It is a detailed process that is supposed to start with research.  One young lady gave me her essay to check and she had said, since she was in favor of animal testing, that "The animals think it is okay."

I asked her where she had gotten that info - and she said, "online."

Like I said, they do see things differently sometimes!!

It took some persuading on my part to get her to change that line.  When she couldn't produce the proof, I insisted it go!!

I think she thinks I'm goofy.

But she's still one of my favorite students!

1 comment:

Eliza said...

kinda sounds like some of the papers I see at work too, actually!!