Saturday, June 30, 2012

Some not-so-random-thoughts with a rather random photo!!


When Harry and I drove up to Provo to pick up little Harry after his first year at BYU, we stopped somewhere near Parowan and stayed in these charming little cabins - and you can see how very little they were.  They did not have bathrooms, but the communal bathroom was lovely and close by.  It was a bit chilly, but we had down comforters, so we were fine.  

Harry had told us in a conversation about a book he'd stayed up all night reading - we were flabbergasted because he'd been a hard kid to get reading much besides National Geographic.  The book was Their Eyes Were Watching God by Nora Zeale Hurston.  We'd gotten hold of a copy - and were sharing it - so I think we spent the evening reading it to each other.  Funny the things you remember.

At any rate, that explains the photo.  The thought is about Social Media and my relative struggle with finding it meaningful.  Sometimes I find Facebook so unifying and bonding and appreciate how it helps me feel a connection to many people who would pretty much go unnoticed in my life - for no other reason than I don't see them often or ever even.

But of late, I find it so divisive that I'm tempted to give it up - maybe until after the election in the fall.  I am so tired of vicious, unkind, insulting, and obscene references to our current president that I'm ready to scream.  Harry says to just unfriend all those folks.  Unfortunately, many of the same ones doing it are folks I'd like to stay in touch with otherwise.  Perhaps someone should develop a political filter that could screen all that stuff out beforehand. 

I guess it doesn't occur to some of them that there are people in the world who appreciate President Obama's efforts to make our world a better place.  He is intelligent and thoughtful and very articulate.  But I'm not up to slamming all those who are against him just to make my point.

The filter idea keeps looking better and better!!


3 comments:

Karen said...

I know what you mean.

Hester said...

I've actually unfriended a few people due to their insane and annoying crazed "political" rantings. I couldn't handle it showing up on my newsfeed anymore.

Tom Frederickson said...

I will never do Facebook. Leslie