Wednesday, July 10, 2013

More sleuthing!


As I sort and file and go through old photos and letters and albums,  I continue to solve little mysteries.  At least, I think I solve them!!

This photo had written on the back:  "Digging a few clams.  December 26, 1930."

Even seeing it small, I was convinced the man was my Grandpa Stevens.  I got the photo enlarged to 8 by 10 - the above is a copy of it enlarged to 5 by 7 -  and had my mom look at it.  She agreed it was her dad.  When I wondered about the three boys, she said they must be his nephews, the three sons of his brother Bert.

She speculated that my grandpa had taken the train down to SoCal - probably when he had a Christmas break - to look for job possibilities here.  His brother was here and probably encouraged him.  Grandpa did have a good job in Salt Lake City, working for the railroad, but possibly wanted to "go West , young man!"

The beach is probably Laguna Beach.  I googled "old photos of Laguna Beach with lighthouse" and this shoreline seems to match several that I saw.

It's all a very inexact science.  We both could be completely wrong.

But it makes a good story!

No comments: