Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Time to say goodbye

A friend of mine died today.  She was not a close friend, but my associations with her were pleasant.  I knew she was at the end of her life, but she did not want any visitors, so I sent cards pretty regularly.  

A couple of weeks ago, another friend had a massive heart attack while in London on a trip with her sister.  She was flown home on life support, and died about a week later, after being taken off life support.  

Audrey was a member of my book group.  I have associated with her monthly for the last 3 or 4 years.  Since I didn't see her daily, her actual absence has not really hit me.  But I am saddened by the loss.  I opened up my email one day and one she had sent me at the end of June seemed to leap out of the computer screen at me!  I know when book group resumes in September I will feel the loss.  She was a charming, intelligent, hard-working woman.  I enjoyed getting to know her.  She had told us all just last May that she was going to run for the Monrovia School Board.  We were all ready to be her support team!!  It is Monrovia's loss too.

I guess we need to treasure the here and now.

And let our friends know how much they mean to us.

No comments: