Thursday, November 03, 2022

Day 3 - Plenty to Be Thankful For:


 Today is my college friend Cammie's birthday - it is also my granddaughter Rhoda's birthday. But I had forgotten about it being Cammie's birthday until I saw it on FB. I am pretty good about birthdays, but the family grows and the circle of friends grows - and I'm grateful for the reminder!

I met Cammie when we were seniors at BYU. In fact, I think she had graduated - or graduated before me because she had earned a credential and was teaching school while her husband was in school. But I was a graduate student teaching Freshman English so maybe we met in senior classes. I'm not sure - but we stayed in touch for several years - and then we fell out of touch.

While on the BYU campus during an Education Week foray, I ran into Cammie in a parking lot. I was impressed that she remembered me. We stayed in touch for a couple of years. We had a mutual friend in Kay Lineback - and I mostly kept up with Cammie via Kay.

And then a few years ago we reconnected once more. It was a delight - friends from the past make wonderful friends - probably because we are all getting older and things are changing - but our past experiences have stayed the same.

I am grateful for friends old and new. But I especially am grateful for friendships that invoke so many specific memories. Times have changed. Much is different. But the past with these friends is the same.

And it's a past I treasure.

No comments: