Tuesday, November 08, 2022

Day 8: Plenty to Be Thankful For:


 Grateful indeed for "make-believe" and how wonderful it is to observe it in children. I'm sure we played "make-believe" when I was a kid, but no one described it or emphasized it. Not that it is necessary. I suspect most children just figure it out.

I remember trying to facilitate it with my own children, but I'm pretty sure they would have done well enough without me. I especially recall a moment many years ago, when I was pregnant with Noah. It was a warm spring day and Hannah and Eliza were playing in our backyard, which was mostly dirt. They were doing something with sticks and twigs and apricots that had dropped on the ground. 

Hannah came over to me bearing an old pie tin with dirt, old apricots, and twigs pushed in here and there as birthday candles. "Oh" she said, "I wish it was my birthday."

Thankful indeed for make-believe!


 


No comments: