Monday, January 10, 2005

FHE

We had the first FHE of the year for the little Terrill family that resides at 428 - we set up a plan to help Noah earn his Duty to God Award before he turns 18 - and I thought I'd checked everything off when he got his Eagle! No rest for the wicked (and the righteous don't need any!!) It will someday be an empty nest around here - it doesn't really feel like that will ever happen, because it's always pretty active around here. But last Monday night, when we arrived home after our marathon drive from Davis CA (it's normally a 5 1/2 hour drive - took us almost 12 hours!!) Anyway, we came home and Hannah's stuff was gone and Karl's stuff was gone and the house was cold and quiet and still and I felt a little melancholy. There was a note from Hannah and I thought how quickly the 2 weeks of a very full house had just melted back into the memory.

2 comments:

hanner said...

Ah, I hope I'm not just a memory :)

grannybabs said...

No, Hannah, you are not just a memory - but sometimes a cold still house seems peopled with memories - it is ephemeral and I never started feeling it until I was past 40. I remember the first time I felt that way - your dad had gone backpacking and there had been a lot of hustle and bustle and stacks of stuff everywhere and people here and then they were gone and night fell and it seemed so quiet and empty -which is odd because you and Eliza and Noah were still there!! (and Phoebe too!) I think it is a condition of age - or maybe aging!!