Friday, January 28, 2005

Non sequitur

I have to give the lesson in Relief Society on Sunday. It is on "Prophets, Seers and Revelators" from Teachings for our Times. I have read the material - I have jotted down some "good ideas for opening salvos" and not much else. Then the newly called ward newsletter editor -who was my ace, number one Enrichment leader before this new calling - emailed me (they wanted her because she is so computer savvy - no concern about her language, grammar or spelling abilities) and asked me to be the front page editorialist for her fledgling issue. And she wants it Sunday. I feel less than creative - I feel tired, coughed out, TGIF, etc. So I thought that maybe blogging a bit might get the creative juices flowing.

It is raining - I am home from school - there is no school Monday - do I feel like being productive? No. I feel like curling up in front of the fireplace and finishing the new John Grisham novel Harry bought. (Why must I hurry and say Harry bought it - like I don't want anyone to think I was so eager that I bought it in hardback or something??!!) One thing I will say for John Grisham - he is the master of escape fiction. It is not good literature - the stories are all the same - but they are engrossing.

I am also reading the last in the Ladies Number One Detective Agency series - they are well-written - and actually just as compelling - but that is my Sustained Silent Reading book, so it stays at school.

I have felt no inspiration for either my lesson or my editorial - maybe I will go curl up!!

3 comments:

Eliza said...

After 3 months of resisting my own edits on our ward newsletter, I finally let up on January's issue and went wild with the red pen. I really cannot BELIEVE how horrible grammar and spelling is sometimes--and that nobody notices it before it goes "to press"! I'm considering calling up the ward newsletter editor and saying, "Look, STOP CAPITALIZING RANDOM VERBS. (Seriously, capitalization is a big problem in this thing.) Also, I'll edit every issue from now on. Please. PLEASE."

bonny with a Y said...

MOM!!!! I had no idea you had your own blog. Eliza ratted you out. I'm so impressed you have braved the wilds of the internet and done this.

Anyway, I'm excited.

It's very nicely laid out.

grannybabs said...

I am so "au courant" and 21st century I can hardly stand myself!! Ha, Ha, but I did write my front page editorial for the ward newsletter - I used quotes within quotes, so I felt compelled to hand deliver it - rather than just email it to her because I was afraid she would correct me in my use of double and singe quotation marks and do it all wrong and people would think I didn't know how to do it!! (And no one will probably pay any attention to the fine points of my composition.)

I'm hoping to persuade Noah to help me do fancy things with my blog. We'll see.