Monday, February 11, 2008

A day off

I love days off. I used to hate school holidays - probably because my routine was disrupted. Now I love having my "routine" disrupted with a holiday. Guess it's all about perspective.

I used to feel guilty because I didn't like planning activities for the kids to fill up the "day off." I hope they didn't feel bad about just hanging around the house all day. Maybe I did things - I can't remember - I know they will remind me. ("Mom, how can you forget . . . ?")

Actually I remember taking Bonny, Harry and Phoebe to the show at the Santa Anita Mall on the first President's Day we were here in Monrovia. But I don't remember what we saw.

I am really feeling the need for a "day off" but I never seem to get as much done as I think I will. In fact, I usually get things "ready to go" and then the day is over - and I need another day.

I hope I'm making myself clear. I think there's a line in a poem or a story somewhere that expresses the thought clearly - to me anyway. It's hovering in the back of my mind but not emerging. A sign that maybe I need a day off??

I like to spend days off doing things like catching up on my ironing while watching old movies. (I love to iron - especially while watching old movies.)

Or writing letters.

Or blogging.

Or sorting through drawers and "getting organized." And going to Target to get containers for my organization.

Or making aprons.

Or browsing through the racks at Marshalls.

Or curling up with a good book - but I never seem to be "caught up" in a book on a holiday - I was up late last week finishing a "page turner" but they never seem to be there when you need them!!

Or dreaming that I'm going to spend the day getting all the photos sorted!! (In my dreams!)

In recent years, my days off have often included doing things with the grandkids - which is the best use for a day off, frankly. It's fun to be with them, you feel good at the end of the day, and you can save your "to do" list for the next day off without feeling guilty!

And Dad doesn't really do "days off" - at least not the predesignated kind - he's pretty random.

Like we are going to go up to Oakland next week to see the daughter of the 12 year old girl Dad baptized in 1967 - he got a letter from the woman a week or so ago - emailed her and she'd like us to go visit her daughter - who is now on a mission in Oakland - it's a long story - and a great story - and I may have to be the one to tell it because I don't think Dad will get around to blogging it anytime soon.

Anyway - I'll have another "day off " next week- I'll let you know how it goes. (we are flying up in the a.m. and back in the p.m. - don't ask!)

What do you like to do on a day off?

6 comments:

hanner said...

Are you celebrating President's Day today?

grannybabs said...

No, but the district takes off Lincoln's B-day too. It's not a federal holiday or anything - the mail came as usual.

We have next Monday off too.

And Cesar Chavez day in March!

Phoebe said...

I would love to spend a day off with you! Hint, hint

Alice said...

It is great that you are my sister since you seem to articulate all that I am feeling. I love days off but never seem to get everything done that needs to be done. I especially like to organize my things. It seems that I feel if I am organized, I will get more done the next day. Right now we are in the middle of a big service project at Chruch (that I am in charge of) and we have to make 80 dolls by the first of May. That consumes all of my spare time. However, I do enjoy doing them it just takes a lot of time.

Karen said...

I enjoy a day off also. I like having a break from getting everyone everywhere, and being able to just hang out together.

bonny with a Y said...

i love a day off - and lots of times i spend it running around.

i'm trying to be better at relaxing. i was sooo good at that until i had children.