Thursday, February 28, 2008

Wedding Bells Through the Years


All this talk of weddings makes me think about how simple ours was! This is a polaroid my Uncle Paul took - that's where our wedding photo collection comes from! (At least some of them. Various and sundry others took snapshots too - we have a nice little collection of varying quality. But we don't really need photos to remember the details. At least not yet!)

And Alice made my dress - the fabric was about $20.

And the serving ladies - maybe this look should make a comeback! I could make the aprons. Start a new fad! (Seriously these women were my mom's right hands - they "made" it happen!)

This was Joy's wedding line in 1966 - from her first marriage. I'm not sure why I am always making a face in the photos from her wedding. You might look carefully and see that I borrowed my veil from her.

Harry and I observed that we are really from a different generation. It was pretty simple back then.

We don't begrudge the brouhaha that weddings now seem to entail. We just smile and shake our heads and write the checks.

And I keep surfing the net for the perfect mother of the bride dress for me!



6 comments:

hanner said...

This sounds like a subtle hint about the price of my wedding dress :)

grannybabs said...

No, I'm just commenting on how things have changed - maybe you will get lucky and the pendulum will have swung completely around and your daughter will spend $50 on her wedding dress!!

Karen said...

I like your dress Barbara.
I think mine cost less than $100 We got the fabric at a super good price and then paid someone to make it. It was a good deal and I got just what I wanted. (I guess it was good that I wasn't into lace and seed beads.)

bonny with a Y said...

hey my wedding dress was VERY cheap - and pretty fab too - although maybe i should have worn a veil (j/k)

and the wedding business has just exploded - i think it goes hand in hand with the passage of time - think how simple grandma's wedding was compared to yours and i know my girls weddings will end up being more elaborate than mine - because i will be living vicariously through them and it will be fun!

grannybabs said...

I do have to give Bonny credit for not breaking the bank with her wedding dress. And it was a lot of work - I'm not the most accomplished needlewoman - but I have always enjoyed telling people that I made it - with some help from lovely Rita on the hem.

(And though I have always been glad that I made it, I have not been anxious to make another one!)

(But maybe I will be up to it again for some granddaughter!)

HPT said...

Let's see. At that rate of inflation Hannah's daughter will be paying around $9k for a wedding dress. Start saving....