Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Little Sparrow


For FHE last night, Dad and walked down to Blockbuster and rented "La Vie En Rose."

I've wanted to see this movie for a long time. It was long and sad and somewhat depressing. But I thought it was pretty well done.

I read her "bio" and found that they had most of the facts straight. Then I read some reviews that were less than complimentary.

Upon reflection, some of the criticisms were well-deserved. But I like the "film noir" aspects - I thought they conveyed the sorrow and despair of her life quite well.

And even the reviewers conceded that the scene when she learns that her lover Marcel has died in a plane crash was shot "brilliantly."

And you just can't go wrong with Piaf's larger than life voice. Tom Moore introduced your dad to Edith Piaf - and then Dad introduced her to me.

Vive la Piaf!! (loved the scene where the 10 year old Edith sings the Marseillaise!)

3 comments:

bonny with a Y said...

bruce and i watched it as well - we enjoyed it - but it was waaay too long - and rather depressing as well - what is it with artists and substance abuse? so discouraging.

hanner said...

I really want to see that still! Thanks for the reminder.

grannybabs said...

It was long. And depressing.

There are many who say you can be a true artist without heartache and sorrow.

And substance abuse could certainly bring that on!

I'm not sure what the true connection is.

And a great artist like Pete Seeger didn't fall into that trap.