Sunday, March 16, 2008

School Daze

When I was substitute teaching, I made the comment to a friend that I didn't even remember having a sub in school - except for one time in 5th grade when our teacher had to leave early every day for a period of weeks. The vice-principal - whose name I can't remember but I can picture him clearly in my mind - came each day for the last hour and closed the blinds, turned off the lights, and read us "Wind In the Willows."

The book didn't seem as charming and compelling when I perused it as an adult. Or when I tried to interest my own children in it. But I loved it in 5th grade. Maybe it was the dim room and the vice-principal's very dramatic voice and intonations.

But I digress. My friend said, when I made my comment, "Oh Barbara, don't you remember how we used to make that one sub cry?"

I was flabbergasted. I had no memory of it at all.

And so when I observe middle school students daily, I wonder if my memory is very selective.

For example, my room was moved from the main hall to the edge of the lunch area. I hate this location - I truly do - hate's not even a strong enough word - I despise it!

Why? Because when I come back from lunch each day, I have to step over a trail of tossed baby carrots (why the cafeteria gives little bags of carrots to students is beyond me - all they do is throw them at one another), smashed plastic containers of salad, rivers of chocolate milk and half-eaten hamburgers, burritos and pizza slices.

These kids just leave or toss food on the walk way in front of my room. I really don't remember kids doing that with food. But maybe I never went in the lunch area where kids did that.

And so many kids just don't do their work. You say, "Do you have your homework?" And they say, "No." And you say, "Why?" And they say, "Because I didn't do it." End of conversation. At least a third of my students say that on a daily basis. We use all kinds of behavior modification techniques - I randomly give treats to those who do their homework. Or punishment to those who don't. Nothing changes.

My friends all did their homework - maybe I just didn't hang around the kids who didn't do it. I don't remember teachers asking for it either though - maybe I just tuned out when the teacher harassed those slackers who hadn't done their work.

(Which reminds me of a story I've told many times about a 2nd grade teacher Harry F. had. I thought she was terrible - we were new to Monrovia so I didn't feel brave enough to go complain so I worked in his classroom all the time to be sure he wasn't ever the victim of her wrath! A few years later I was in Ralph's and ran into someone who also knew her and we talked about how the district had put her in an "office job" since she wouldn't retire. We went on about how bad she was. Later Harry said to me, "I liked Mrs. Atwater." And I said, "But she yelled and screamed at kids in class." And he said, "Only the ones who deserved it!")

And kids routinely are out of school for a week or even two weeks at a time - to go to Europe or Arizona or Mexico or Disneyland - you name it. They are out random days too - for all kinds of strange reasons. (I know I will incur the wrath myself of some parents who do this - I used to do it myself, but think differently about it now that I am on the other end.)

Nobody did that when I went to school. But maybe the rich kids I didn't hang around with did.

I guess I'm saying that maybe things haven't really changed all that much. Maybe school has always been like it is now. Maybe I'm just more aware. Maybe I'm just looking at it from another perspective.

And that is probably the truth. For example, I used to keep Bonny home from school to babysit sometimes. She always assured me that she wasn't missing anything important at school and I was usually desperate. Now, I regard kids who are absent for any reason as a pain in the neck!! It is the biggest hassle to put together make-up work for absent students - and my classes are small. It must be a real headache for general ed teachers who see 150 students a day.

And it is so discouraging to see a student who is failing or getting a D just because he or she doesn't do their homework. It makes me want to do away with homework and just grade kids on what they do in school! (But the truth is, we don't have kids long enough each day to teach them all they need to know - they have to do some of it on their own.)

But I can't think of any good excuse for throwing food around. I have complained about it a lot - now I think I am going to take pictures of it and send them to OSHA or something.

That might do the trick!

3 comments:

Karen said...

Looking at it from the other side does give you a compleatly different view. I see it from the teacher side, thanks to Jeff, and from the parent side.

As a parent I really dislike homework in grade school, but after that I think homework is ok, and doing it is the kids reposibility. They need to face the consequences for doing/not doing homework. I don't like when the teacher blames me. A couple of my kids can sit at the table all night and still not do the homework. You can ground them from everything, still no homework. The consequences really have to come from the teacher/school. And even that didn't motivate the oldest son. We had a no driving without a b average rule (for insurance costs) and even though he needed to get his homework done to get better grades he still would not do it. He didn't get his drivers licence until he was 18, almost 19. What do you do with a kid like that?

My other kids (so far, knock wood)do home work just fine, with little effort on my part.

I also am guilty of keeping an older child home to babysit in when all other avenues have failed.

It amazes me how much food is wasted at our elementary school. I haven't been to the Jr high or High School cafeteria to see what goes on there, but I'm sure it is just like yours.

bonny with a Y said...

I agree with the trash and waste issue. It is something that I think plagues most of America and I find it disgusting. I am not sure how to remedy it.

As for absences - I feel that if you are keeping up in school, absence as much as you need. I feel like school gets in my way, more than it benefits my family. The time my children waste taking roll, walking back and forth from PE, lunch, recess, music, art, etc. I understand why people home school - at least for the elementary grades. I wouldn't do a good job in the upper grades. I also think that homework is waaay out of hand. This past winter, my 5th grader, Ara had a 3-4 page (typed) paper due each week. As well as analysis and summaries of various monuments - each week. In addition to her regular reading and math homework. The worst part of it is Ara is very self motivated and still it was a huge pain.

So I take my kids out of school if they are tired, or we need to go to Disneyland as a family for a birthday, or whatever. And luckily the teachers at our school are very supportive about it. When we pulled the kids out for a week to go to Chicago, their teachers thought it was great that they would get to experience the museums, lifestyle change, etc there. And the week's work packets they sent took about an hour for them to finish.

grannybabs said...

Like I said, I used to pull my kids out without a thought.

But it is a big pain in the neck for the teacher. At least for me and many of my colleagues.

And I never say that to parents. Most teachers don't - some of the kids who are out are truly doing something beneficial and enriching.

But it still wreaks havoc with the "bookkeeping" of teaching.

And many of our immigrant kids routinely go to Mexico at Christmas and Easter for 2 or 3 weeks longer than the break is. And that really wreaks havoc with their education.

You do need to walk a mile in someone else's moccasins sometimes to get a clear understanding of things.

I'm not being critical - just observing.