Thursday, July 16, 2009

Jury Duty


I was walking in to the courthouse for jury duty, and ran into my friend and colleague Jan Marlia - who is next to me in the photo - and she had jury duty too!!

Jan had never been called - so this was a first for her - and the "officer of the court" painted a grim picture - about how the cases could go a week or longer - and if we wanted to postpone, we'd better postpone now.

She took roll, showed us a video, had us take a break, took roll again, sent us on an hour and a half lunch break, took roll again - and dismissed us at 1:45!

It works out like this for me all the time - my luck won't hold forever, but I'm glad to have it off the list for a year or two. (They say you are good for 12 months, but they tend to call me every 2 or 3 years.)

And spending the day with a friend - and going to lunch in Downtown El Monte - is not a bad way to spend the day!

(We weren't sure what they would do when they discovered we were friends - are friends allowed to serve together on juries??)

8 comments:

Diane said...

I have never been called for jury duty. One of the perks of living overseas, I suppose. How nice that you had a friend to spend the day with!

grannybabs said...

If you have a driver's license, they will call you one of these days!!

Karen said...

I wonder about jury duty and how it really works. I have only been called one time and that was 23 years ago in California. Maybe if I still lived in CA I would have been called more.

grannybabs said...

Maybe they don't have the same need for jurors in Idaho?

I don't know - I only started getting called about 8 or 9 years ago.

Maybe they know you have young kids at home - that can get you excused - has Jeff been called?

bonny with a Y said...

i looooved jury duty (pre-children). but now i have not the time - so i get myself excused.

Karen said...

Jeff has only been called once, ever five years ago.

traci said...

Here children are not a valid excuse UNLESS you are actually called to a jury. You must still go and wait and wait and then if you are called you give your excuse to a judge. Otherwise you are stuck waiting...until they dismiss you and you have no need to give an excuse then.

I've been called twice, well three if you count they wanted me to do jury duty the week Natalie was due. That one I sent in an excuse in the mail - but they require you to serve within a year of the date you are called. So I actually was summoned three times, but one was a make up.

I have yet to be called in for jury selection. I just take a good book and a snack.

Jeff has NEVER been called. And his work would pay him for serving.

grannybabs said...

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the whole jury duty thing.