Thursday, July 02, 2009

Pinnies from Heaven - an apron by Granny Babs

You've heard of bag ladies? Well, I'm thinking I'm an apron lady.


I have been making aprons for a few years now - I think maybe 5 or so. But I have not kept track of who I have made them for. I actually make plans to make them for certain people - but don't get around to it - and then can't remember which ones did get done! So sometimes I make someone an apron - and I had already made them one!


My friend Sue did a visiting teaching seminar talk on "Hearts Knit Together" and she talked about knitting. It was a great talk - lots of knitting principles apply to Visiting Teaching. But what caught my attention was the story about her mother and how she has knitted many Christmas stockings for family and friends - and still does - in fact, she has 75 put away for future great-grandchildren! But she has kept track! (Sue says I need to keep track!)


I'm feeling the need to start keeping track. So, if I've made you an apron, would you post a comment telling me so. Or email me. And if you'd like an apron from Granny Babs, you can comment or email me on that! (I'm not the least bit offended if you don't really want an apron!) And I'm not saying you'll get one next week, but you'll be in the queue if that's where you want to be!)


And if you want to choose your own fabric, you can send me 1 1/4 yards of fabric and 2 packages of single fold bias tape - has to be single fold - and no extra wide - should say 1/2 inch wide on the package. Bias tape is hard to find around here and expensive online, so if you find a good source, let me know!

I love having my own labels. I switch them up often - if I'd kept track of how many I'd ordered, I'd know how many I've made. But if I'd kept track of how many I'd ordered, I'd probably have kept track of who I sent them to!!

I get a lot of joy out of making these particular aprons. I've made so many that I can practically do it in my sleep, so there is no stress. And they don't take a lot of time. And I love prowling through the aisles in fabric stores looking for future aprons.

I do make some other styles - and actually have quite a collection of apron patterns - but that kind of sewing isn't mindless, relaxing sewing - it's more work. Worthwhile work, but work nonetheless!


The pinnies get made while I sit at my machine and watch movies on my great little portable DVD player Bonny gave me. It's either GWTW, FOTB or LW. Sometimes PB. The kind of movies that you don't have to pay complete attention too - one time I did aprons to Finding Neverland but it was too distracting - I didn't get much sewing done - if you are going to watch a movie that carefully, you might as well watch it on the big screen.



One of the shots above is of the aprons I made during this last visit to Phoebe's - she buys the fabric and bias tape and I do the sewing. Another batch I made for Leslie's book club - I did one of them upside down - that's what you get for going with an amateur like me! The patterns were old to start with and are very fragile now - next project is to get them on some sturdier kind of surface.

I first made one over 30 years ago - you can see it in the shot with my dad - I should have saved it. But I think I wore it out.

I'm just saying.

23 comments:

Diane said...

I love my apron from you, especially the label!

Eliza said...

You probably don't need me to tell you that you have made me an apron before. Two in fact. I wear them ALL the time. Just last night I wore one to the library and to a friend's house. I like leaving my apron on after making dinner. I feel that somehow it makes up for whatever I am lacking in housewifery skills.

amy k said...

I think aprongs are a great gift. They are cute and practical and everybody needs at least one.

I will keep my eyes open for bias tape sales.

Karen said...

I would like an apron made by you Barbara. I know I could make my own, but there is something about having one made by my Aunt who spent so much time helping me sew!
I will start looking for fabric and bias tape. I've seen bias tape around here, is that because of where I live I wonder? I will keep an eye out for sales.

bonny with a Y said...

i have an apron, or 2 or 3 from you and i wear them all the time as well. and now ara and ella have started wearing them. ella especially.

but i will always welcome another.

my fave is the one you made for my last b-day (or christmas) the one that looks like a jumper - i think phoebe found the pattern. all the moms at our elementary school love it when i wear it to make soup.

and i will look for bias tape - although i don't think too many people sew in these parts.

grannybabs said...

The thing about bias tape is that I don't think it's in big demand - so places like Joann's and Wal-Mart - the only two places I've even seen it in years - don't care and just take what they are sent - which isn't much - so if you find it, buy it and I will reimburse you for your troubles - I am especially looking for hot pink - to finish a very darling apron where I ran short!

And you were on my list Karen - but I couldn't remember if I'd made you one - I think I made your mom one, but can't remember that either - isn't growing old terrible? (But maybe I couldn't even have remembered that sort of thing when I was young!!)

Miss Five said...

The picture of with the close up of the label is MINE! I love it an wear it constantly. It's in rotation with two others - but I tell everyone about my specially made Pinnie from Heaven.

Katie said...

I would love to have one, if you have time.

I am getting into sewing myself but really don't think I am up to making one of my own yet plus it wouldn't have your label.

-Katie Creekmur

grannybabs said...

Katie, I actually have, at present, a little inventory you could choose from. And if you ever need "sewing hints" I'd be happy to oblige!!

Alice said...

You made me one and bought me a gradening apron as well. I, too, love aprons and have handmade ones as well as store bought ones. I just got a Dalarna horse one from Sweden on my trip there. I also have some great retro patterns if you ever need one. I also have a Small in the one that you make all the time.

Christina @ AccomplishingMotherhood said...

I would love an apron , and would love to send you the fabric , and send ( if i can find) your special tape. Ive seen pictures on Hannahs blog with her apron on , (maybe you made it?) they are so cute. I have 2 aprons , a cleaning one and cooking. They are not cute.
Would love to make one myself , but I already have 2 quilts I have been unable to finish because my 15 month old wants to pull it up when Im trying to tape it down.
Also wearing my aprons makes me feel super housewifey as well. I feel naked without it while cleaning... to much info? LoL

grannybabs said...

Any friend of Hannah's is a friend of mine - so send me your contact info!!

Amy Girl said...

Years ago you made me and I believe Bonny matching red and white checker blouses. They were v-neck with cherry iron-ons on the "V" part. I loved, loved, loved it. I can remember wearing it as quick as it got cleaned. What made it special was the sewn in decal "Especially handmade for you by Barbara". I loved looking at that label and reading it over and over. It made me feel loved and very important! I decided then that I would someday get my very own labels and sew them into my creations - and I do!

Amy Girl said...

So watch the mail for the fabric and bias tape. I need to feel loved and important again.

grannybabs said...

I remember those tops very well - Bonny wore hers until it wore out too!!

Have I made you an apron - I wanted to make one for you and your mom and sisters - and I think I've made one for your mom but can't remember!!

This is why you keep track of things you do!!

Amy Girl said...

No apron yet, that's why I'll be heading to the fabric store soon.

grannybabs said...

I'll be looking forward to receiving it!!

(My current venue of sewing and watching movies is the perfect summer activity in my book!!

Christina @ AccomplishingMotherhood said...

Christina Castaneda Hebert
ursl1ck@hotmail.com

Sue Cornwall said...

The Cornwall girls, Sue, Katie and Rachel have all been recipients. LOVE THEM!!!

grannybabs said...

Guess I'd better get one for Sarah - don't want her feeling left out of the mix!!

traci said...

I've always wished for an apron from you! If you get around to it...Thanks in advance.

grannybabs said...

You are on the list Traci - I'll make it post-pregnancy size though - something to look forward to!!

grannybabs said...

And Traci - email me your correct address - just to be sure!!