Wednesday, October 21, 2009

"If you build it, they will come!"

After we were seated in the Relief Society room at the Torrance Stake Center, everyone got out their notebooks and pens!! We were ready to record whatever Sister Staples had to say!

She told us, "Write down what the Spirit directs. You will hear what you need to hear."

Let me add here, somewhat parenthetically, that I have been disturbed over the last few years to hear some women complain about visiting teaching. I almost cringed when I heard a young woman say, "I wonder when the church is going to get rid of visiting teaching?" (Answer to that question - from Sister Staples herself - "Never!")

Since many of those complaining were younger women, I wondered why, when I have always been so impressed by the great spirituality of the younger generation, they were so "down" on this particular assignment from the Lord.

This question was answered for me as I read the verse in Moroni 6:4 that Sister Staples asked me to read:

"And after they had been received unto baptism, and were wrought upon and cleansed by the power of the Holy Ghost, they were numbered among the people of the church of Christ; and their names were taken, that they might be remembered and nourished by the good word of God, to keep them in the right way, to keep them continually watchful unto prayer, relying alone upon the merits of Christ, who was the author and the finisher of their faith."

As I read it aloud, I felt that this was the instruction about visiting teaching that I needed to share with the women of our stake. These valiant young mothers are faithful, studious, devoted mothers and wives. They need to know that visiting teaching is not a chore or a task or a another thing to do. It is how we "remember and nourish by the good word of God" those we are asked to look after.

Over the years, I have had a large number of women assigned to be my visiting teacher. Some have been great, some have come often, some have never come, some have truly "nourished me with the good word of God." Others have been "continually watchful unto prayer" in my behalf.
Most have truly blessed my life.

I hope they didn't think that visiting me was a burden. I hope they knew that every time they came or called or sent me a card , that I felt loved and cared for.

Right now, my visiting teacher hasn't come in a few months. She had twins in May. I actually feel like I should be taking care of her. But last week, she invited us over to dinner - so we could all visit and be nourished by good food - and the "good word of God." (Her husband is our home teacher!) I was so touched that she felt that kind of concern for me. I didn't question at all that she hadn't had time to come - I knew she loved and cared about our family and was probably praying for us! That was certainly good enough for me. (And she often commented on our blog!!)

When I shared this with Sister Staples, she commented, "We all go through seasons of life. Sometimes we are more on track than other times. But we don't keep score. We just take turns caring for one another."

I certainly applaud her approach - and recommend it to you all!

3 comments:

Alice said...

Visiting teaching is quite difficult here in La Paz. Thanks for the scripture. I will use that even next week. We are only 50%.

Leslie said...

We certainly don't need to keep score. I have been a VT to two women for several years. (No companion) We are a little unorthodox, sometimes I go to one's place of work, often we go out to lunch, plus phone calls and cards. Many good things have happened over the years. Geri,who I love dearly, (and works in a book store!) has her daughter and teenage grandson living with her. Geri has been active off and on, but always with a strong testimony. Her grandson has been baptized and is coming along. I know this is long but I love both of those women! And I won't let them go. Leslie

Diane said...

Keep posting!!