Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Work of Relief Society


Sister Staples had us read Alma 48: 7-9. In verse 7, we read, "And now it came to pass that while Amalikiah had thus been obtaining power by fraud and deceit, Moroni, on the other hand, had been preparing the minds of the people to be faithful unto the Lord their God."

Arcadia Stake Relief Society Women's Conference Luncheon, January 2007.

She explained that as leaders - and as members of the church leading our families - we need to first prepare our minds for the tasks at hand. We don't just go into a new calling or an important event in our lives without giving it some significant prayer and preparation.

The preparation is specified in verse 8, "Yea, he had been strengthening the armies of the Nephites, and erecting small forts, or places of resort; throwing up banks of earth round about to enclose his armies, and also building walls of stone to encircle them about, round about their cities and the borders of their lands; yea, all round about the land."

Our homes and our wards are the "small forts and places of resort," and temple attendance, scripture study, prayer, keeping the commandments - these are the "walls of stone" that can encircle us.

What especially impressed me was her interpretation of verse 9, "And in their weakest fortifications he did place the greater number of men; and thus he did fortify and strengthen the land which was possessed by the Nephites."

Our energy, she said, should be directed towards strengthening the weakest among us. Those who struggle with the commandments, those who struggle with life's daily challenges, those who are less active, those who feel overwhelmed by adversity and trials. Strengthening these members of our families and of our wards can fortify and strengthen our families and wards.

It was certainly a new way of looking at things for me. I have spent years being assigned to visit teach less-active sisters. Only one of them has ever returned to church with any regularity. But as I have struggled to overcome my hesitancy, my sense of feeling that I don't make any difference, my reluctance to open myself to rejection, I have found a greater understanding of what being a disciple of Christ means. I think I'm a better woman because of these experiences.

And I'm certain I couldn't have learned these lessons any other way.

4 comments:

Karen said...

I'm enjoying these posts Barbara. In fact, I told a friend of mine (who is in our ward RS Presidency)about them.

grannybabs said...

Well, it is good to get the word out!! There are dramatic changes - for the better - that can happen - we need to focus on other things now.

Diane said...

I also am loving these posts about Relief Society. It is indeed a privlege and blessing to experence personal growth while we are learning to serve others. I am convinced that we will never 'close the book' when it comes to this!

Bobbie Poppleton said...

Barbara,
I have just read your first post and it was exactly what I needed to sleep on tonight. I just came from my PPI with the Stake President where we discussed what I am feeling in regards to RS right now. I cannot wait to read more!!
Your new Oregonian Friend,
Bobbie P.