Monday, August 20, 2012

End of summer reading


I guess my summer reading schedule is coming to a close.  Phoebe was talking about reading 52 books in 52 weeks.  I'm at 26 books for this year, so I'm a bit behind.  I don't dare start another book until after school starts - I have a tendency to get wrapped up in a book - and I read when I should be doing other stuff!!

So I finished Bel Canto this morning.  I have started this book 3 or 4 times - and just never seemed to be able to get into it.  Then I read 3 other books by the author - and they grabbed me right away.  So that gave me the resolve to stick it out - and the 3rd or 4th time was a charm!!

One of the elements of this novel that is so compelling is the role of language.  One of the characters is a translator - and after the group of hostages is finalized, it turns out that they speak several different languages.  The translator becomes essential to all of them - and the story seems to grow from there.

The fact that they are in small groups that cannot communicate well with one another impacts the development of the story - and the inter-relationships of the hostages.  Two romances that develop have characters who cannot speak each others languages - love grows through shared experiences - in one case the love of opera and in the other the desire to learn not only a new language, but to learn to read and write.

If you haven't read it - give it a look-see - and let me know what you think!!

For now I'm going to start re-reading Mr. Midshipman Hornblower - I noticed that on the cover of my copy there is a quote from Ernest Hemingway, "I recommend Forester to every literate I know."

Seems like a pretty good recommendation!!

No comments: