Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Reading and watching some more!!


So I've been on an Ann Patchett kick - just finished this last night.  It was her first novel.  It is completely different from her other books - but then the amazing quality about her is that all of her books are so completely different from each other.  This one is compelling - takes place in the late 60s and moves forward to the early 80s.  The back stories are intriguing, the threads of the stories are interwoven quite tightly, and the ending is something of a surprise.  It takes place at a former grand hotel in Kentucky that has become a Catholic home for unwed mothers. She is quite prolific, so I guess I will be busy for awhile.  I'm starting next on Bel Canto - the first Ann Patchett book I'd ever heard of - and one I've started several times!!  Which seems strange, since the others have captured my interest right away.  I'll let you know how it goes!
 

For the last few months, Harry and I had been trying to figure out who we'd lent our Hornblower DVDs to - with no luck.  Then we get to Phoebe's last month, and she hands me a stack of books to take back home with me - there's Horatio on top!!

We were so excited to finally find them, we sat right down when we got back and started watching them - and they were as great as ever!  When we first watched them, we started reading the 11 volume set of Hornblower novels - and they were great too.  I suspect that since I had seen the movies, as I read the books, I was picturing the characters the way they were on-screen.

So when we finished on Sunday night, I asked Harry what the next one was and he told me that we'd just watched the last one!  "How can that be?" I exclaimed.  "What about Lady Barbara and Maria's death and the children?"

I suspect that I had internalized the novels so completely, I thought I'd seen them!!

I was keenly disappointed - and I wish A and E wanted to keep on with the series!!

I can dream.

And re-read the novels I guess!

No comments: