Thursday, August 30, 2012

What it looks like 35+ years later!!


I mentioned that we are re-living our love affair with the BBC production of The Pallisers.  (I ordered the boxed set when it went on special on Amazon.  And how did Amazon know to target us with the ad?  Are we that transparent?)

35+ years later, the series has some flaws we never noticed before.  For one thing, it's in color and we saw it for the first time in black and white.  It might have been better in black and white.  Also, the sets are pretty cheesy - we've obviously gotten used to much more authentic mid-Victorian film locales.  And some of the acting is wooden - we are wondering why we ever thought Burgo Fitzgerald was dashing and handsome - as Lady Glencora thought he was.

But the story still has a charm.  As does Lady Glencora (I wanted to name Phoebe Glencora - in spite of our love of the show, Harry would not hear of it.  I told that to someone and they said, "Lucky for Phoebe you didn't."  But I said, "Phoebe would have had everyone wishing their name was Glencora!!")

And Plantangenet Palliser seems a much more appealing character - maybe because we know how it ends??

There are something like 48 episodes - we are going to stretch it out though, to make it last!!

2 comments:

Phoebe said...

This is the first I've heard of the Glencora name suggestion! I think I prefer Phoebe.

grannybabs said...

Well, we all love your name and it fits you perfectly - I'm just saying, that if anyone could have handled the name Glencora - and made it everyone's fave - it would have been you!!