Monday, February 23, 2015

The Daily News


We weren't well-off by any means - at least not when I was a kid.  But we always took a newspaper.  In fact, we took a morning and an afternoon paper!

I remember when the actress Suzanne Ball died of cancer.  It was all over the front page of The Daily News.  I asked my mom about it - I still remember her saying, "She was a brave young woman and she faced death bravely too."  (She had had her leg amputated in an attempt to stop the cancer.)

There were some local papers too - they came once or twice a week.  I always combed through them looking for people's names that I knew.  Lyn was in there when he got his Eagle Scout and when he went on a mission.

My brothers had paper routes too.

My dad read the LA Times in the morning, and then when he got home, he read The Daily News. 

Grandma Mary grumbles often about how the paper has no news in - just advertising.  She often says we might as well not take it.  She says, I just do it for Donna.

I think it's a Clayton thing - I still take the Times too!

Wish I'd asked my dad while he was alive why he was so dedicated to the newspaper!

No comments: