Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Three-hole golf course!


Grandma and Grandpa Stevens lived in Inglewood.  Their house seemed large and elegant to me, but I'm pretty sure it was small and tract-like.  But it had a large front porch - I have always dreamed of a large front porch!!

In the "rumpus room" - now called family rooms or dens - was a built in bar!  Grandpa was not a member of the church and he drank. We loved playing bartender and serving up 7-Up in shot glasses!  And Grandma taught us how to play cards!

Grandpa had a 3 hole golf course in the back yard - and he'd show us how to go around it 3 times to play 9 holes of golf.

Also Grandma always had Quaker Puffed Rice - and I loved it - still do!!

She had vestiges of her Southern prejudices though - she was from Kentucky - and when her black cleaning lady came, she'd have her stand in the kitchen and she'd stand in the dining room to give her instructions.

I spent time with her - and certainly wish I'd asked for more stories from her past!

No comments: