Sunday, March 08, 2009

A place for everything, and everything in its place



My Grandma Stevens lived out her retirement years in a mobile home. It was lovely for its time, and the park they were in had some nice amenities - like a pool we always enjoyed when we went there.

We were sitting in her living room for this shot - the traditional "4 generation" shot - but you can't really get a feel for it - other than that my grandma is of course wearing an apron, an afghan is on the back of her chair, and there is a framed picture of my grandpa in the background.

What I remember about her trailer is how small but how compact it was. And it was very well-organized. She would often admonish us to put things back right where they belonged - otherwise, she told us, it would be hard to find them again.

That's when she would say, "A place for everything, and everything in its place." I realize that she didn't coin this phrase, but I don't remember hearing it before that.

I thought about this today when I got the Bosch out of the cupboard formerly holding the water heater in the room formerly known as the laundry room.

This is a great cupboard, but the shelves are deep - I can see just what is in there, but I often have to take other things out to get to the item I need. And then I have to take the time to put the stuff back just where I took it from. If I don't, nothing seems to fit very well. This can get tedious.

But it usually makes me think of my Grandma Stevens - always a fond memory.


1 comment:

bonny with a Y said...

this is truly a deep and important concept that if we all followed, the world would be a better place.

now if i could only apply it my home at all times. :)