Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Ted's Family


This is my Uncle Ted - my dad's second to youngest brother in the "first" family. (His mother was Agnes also.) I think it's probably an ROTC uniform - and Ted is about 15 in this photo.

Here's my Grandpa Clayton with his second wife Helen. Next to her is Ted and next to Grandpa is Helen's son John from a previous marriage.


This is a photo of Ted and Audrey's first three children.
This photo was taken in 1954. Oldest to youngest they are Pat, Peg, and Phyllis.


Many of the Terrills have never even met Ted's kids - they used to live in Covina - and Harry was the Ward Teaching companion to their family. When Dad and I were "courting," I would go out with Dad on Saturday nights - and then spend the night at Audrey's - Ted's (ex) wife - house. On Sunday a.m. Dad would pick me up and I'd go to church in El Monte with him. I usually spent the day with the Terrills - and in the evening Dad would drive me home. Back then, we thought the distance between GH and El Monte was excessive!!

This is Phyllis - and she is about 20 months old. She is wearing roller skates in the picture - Grandpa Clayton - my Grandpa Clayton - carried this photo around in his wallet - and told people that he had a granddaughter who roller-skated before she could walk!!


Here are Phyllis and her little brother Jimmy with Grandpa. I only have photos of my Aunt Audrey in her later years. But she was a beautiful woman - and one of my favorite aunts.

This was taken in summer of 2005. I think Audrey died two years later, because the next year, I took Mom to visit her.


Here is Grandpa with just Jimmy. We used to drive through Azusa when we went to Covina to visit Ted and Audrey - I'm not sure when they divorced, but Ted died many years ago - he was only 55 when he died. Anyway, my dad would say that the town of Azusa stood for "Everything From A to Z in the USA." In actual fact, Azusa is named for Rancho de Azusa. But the other definition has merit too!!

1 comment:

Alice said...

I am so glad that you are in charge of these pictures. I can't wait to see all of them when I get home next summer.