Thursday, March 17, 2011

Lost -and Found!


Grandma Terrill taught me to always count the silver!! And it's good advice. I've been known to "count" lots of things - puzzle pieces, parts to games, Fisher-Price people to name a few. A couple of years ago, I bought a set of every day stainless. It is pretty nice, and it wasn't cheap. So I took to counting the pieces every so often, and usually the numbers came out right.

A few months ago, a teaspoon came up missing. Dad sometimes takes spoons with him to work, but he didn't have it. I looked through all the drawers. I kept my eye out for it. But all to no avail.

And tonight, while making frosting for some St. Patrick's Day cupcakes, I found it - in the bag of powdered sugar. Don't ask me how it got there - I was just tickled to find it after all these months.

It reminded me of another time when something was lost - and then found. When Phoebe was a little girl, she walked all over the house, picking up things and putting them down again in the wrong places. We lived in a small apartment while our house was being built, so there weren't too many places she could hide things. We usually found everything she got her hands on.


But one day, Harry F.'s hairbrush came up missing. You can see the aforesaid hairbrush in his right hand in the photo above. It was a gift for his 4th birthday - a genuine boar bristle hairbrush with a cherrywood back - just like Dad's! A gift that delighted him, by the way!!

We hunted high and low. I don't like to lose things, so I was getting pretty frustrated. Then I thought of looking in the wastebasket - sure enough, Phoebe had dropped it in there! The hairbrush was found, just like my errant spoon. (Harry still has the hairbrush - in case you were wondering.)

After I found the spoon, I counted the rest of the service.

Now there is a fork missing!!

Sigh!!!!

No comments: