Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Remember When?

I remember the occasion for this photograph. It was a graduation party for Karl at the park across the street from Harry and Dawn. Since Annika is the baby in this photo, it was probably 2005 - in the spring.

But I have lots of photos that I don't remember at all. I'm in them, so I know I was there, but I don't remember the occasion or the event itself. I usually know that the event happened, but the photo doesn't conjure up anything. I'm not thinking it's a sign of dementia or something - I was looking at photos 30 years ago that I couldn't recall!

The photo below is just such a photo. I'm there, but not only do I not remember the occasion or even the time frame, I don't have any memory of that pampas grass we are all standing in front of!

I have a journal that I kept while I was in France going to school. I read some of the entries and have no idea what I am writing about. I know I wrote it, but I have no memory of the event. Other events I remember with crystal clarity. Perhaps the way I wrote them was unclear - even to me.

This is all leading up to a favor that was distributed at the Arcadia Ward Relief Society Birthday Meeting last week. The evening focused on remembering the important events and lessons in our lives. They shared some of the history of the Arcadia Ward too. The booklet is entitled "Things I Want To Remember," and there is space to note things you want to remember for the next twelve months. There is space for each week of the month.

I was thinking that would be a nice blog theme - what do I want to remember about today? About this week? About this month? About this year?

For three days now I've tried to pinpoint what I want to remember about the last three days. I haven't come up with anything yet.

Hopefully the rest of the week will be more memorable! Or less forgettable!!

1 comment:

bonny with a Y said...

i do remember the events in that top picture, but i feel your pain about not remembering other things.