Thursday, March 31, 2011

Some thoughts on aging I want to remember!

We were having an Instructional Leadership Team meeting after school - as chairman of the Special Ed department, I attend these monthly. Anyway, someone asked if anyone at our site was retiring, and all eyes turned to me. I held up my hands and said, "Not me. Not yet anyway." I get all the notices about retirement all the time - solicitations from AARP, Secure Horizons, Social Security stuff - I am in a certain demographic now - and there's not much to be done about it!! (Just remember, as you make fun of AARP, one day it will be you!)

But I mostly don't feel old - or even older. Not until I look into a mirror or see a photo of myself does it occur to me that the years are marching right along.

So I was amused to find this little ditty,

Don't Worry

At age 20 we worry about what others think of us.
At age 40 we don't care what they think.
At age 60 we realize that they haven't been thinking about us at all.

Actually there is quite a bit of truth to this - at any age. When we are worried about what we are going to wear or how our hair is looking, we are certain that everyone who sees us is being critical. The truth is, they are mostly worried about how they look!

So don't tell me if you think my hair looks funny or I've chosen badly in the wardrobe department!

No comments: