Thursday, January 17, 2013

A moment in time -


This is not a very "polished" set up - I was cleaning the glass in a photo montage we have - but I was thinking that this is truly a "snapshot" of a particular time in our lives.

A year after these photos were taken, we were at another "crazy spot" in our lives:  one in college, one in high school, one in middle school, one in elementary school, one in nursery school, and one at home in diapers!  Now that was a hectic, busy time!!

But all too soon it seemed that everyone had zoomed on to new horizons, and we were empty-nesters.  We still are in fact!

Sometimes I look at or listen to young moms, and I want to say, "It's not earth-shattering, what you are fretting over. It will end all too soon.  You will look back and see it as the easiest time of all!"

When we were at the U, and we only had Bonny, our bishop said, "You are not going to believe me, but these are the easiest times of your life.  It is only going to get harder, more complicated, more difficult - and you will look back in longing for these slow, easy days!!'

He was right - we didn't believe him.  I thought he was just waxing poetic for effect.  And he was right - they were the easiest times of all.  I look back on them fondly.

I mostly wish I could remember more details - wish I'd kept a journal, taken more photos, stayed in touch with everyone - but the memories that do linger are lovely ones.

As are the memories of having six beautiful children under one roof for a brief but happy time.

3 comments:

Eliza said...

I think the same thing when I look at brand-new moms with one 6-week-old baby. 90-year-olds probably think the same thing when they look at you. Don't you think? Jesus probably thinks the same thing when he looks at all of us...

Karen said...

I remember wanting to freeze time when Tanner was a baby and everyone was still at home. Of course, we hadn't had Kimberlyn yet, but I didn't know that then. Melissa was already gone when we had Kimberlyn, so we only had everyone home together for short windows of time during school breaks. Until this past year before the weddings when all eight lived at home for three months. It was busy but nice too.

Janelle said...

i needed this today, sister terrill! thanks for the wisdom :-)