Friday, January 11, 2013

Latest "good read!"


At our last book group meeting, I wrote down two titles in my notebook - and assumed that the title on top was our choice - so I ordered it and started reading it - and was quite enjoying it.

Then I was talking to another book club member and mentioned I was reading it and she said, "Well, that wasn't what we chose."   So apparently we'd chosen the other one!  (Which I also ordered and am now reading.)

The Snow Child was really good - a kind of fairy tale/reality tale - set in the Alaskan wilderness in 1920.   The critics have faulted the author for only doing half of her job - they feel like the ending is not as good as the beginning.  I read it without expecting great art and was not disappointed.  The story is compelling and sad and lovely - and that is enough for a holiday vacation read!!

And I'm not really "into" the other one yet - hope it gets better as I go along!!

No comments: