Tuesday, January 29, 2013

"Crowning Glory!!"


I can nearly always find something wrong with my hair.  For one thing, my "natural curl and wave" seems to often thwart my best efforts at style.  Just look at the above jr. high photo, and you'll see what I mean.  My hair still curls and waves like that today!!

I am always trying something different with my hair - I am never content.  Well, for a few years in the early 70's, I wore my hair long and straight - having it long kind of weighed down some of the wave and curl.  I mostly pulled it back into a ponytail anyway.

But when Bonny got married, she suggested that I go to stylist - which I did - and I've been fooling around with my hair ever since!!  I have tried long, short, very short, spiral permed, short and straightened, highlighted, "going gray" - you name it.

I am never happy.  I'm always thinking something will occur to me and it will look way better.  Just to frustrate me I am sure, my hair will sometimes look GREAT on a Saturday when I'm not going anywhere and I'm not going to see anyone!

Currently I'm in a "growing it out" mode.  For a few weeks it was really awful.  If I'd had a hat to wear, I think I would have worn it.  Lately it's not so bad - I even like it some days.

So imagine my surprise when the two women sitting behind me in church - at my mom's ward - caught me afterwards and said, "You have such beautiful hair.  You carry off the "going gray" so beautifully.  If they could bottle that, they'd make a fortune."

I was truly taken aback.  Not because I can't handle a compliment, but because I have truly been unhappy with my hair most of the time.  I thought about it and it came to me what I have always known to be true, and that is that we are usually way too critical of ourselves.  Others see us in a much "softer" light and judge us much less harshly than we do ourselves.  (Although I bet they judge themselves harshly too!!)

Now if someone will just tell me how skinny I am, I may have a vastly improved self-image to contend with!!

3 comments:

Phoebe said...

I can't believe how thin you are, Mom!

grannybabs said...

Thanks - I needed that!!

Alice said...

you look great but then you always have.