Monday, March 04, 2013

Latest read -


Not sure why I've been reading so much lately - probably because there are a lot of other things I should be doing.  And during SSR, I have been reading books to my students.  Now I've got them reading to themselves, so I get a few minutes during the day to read - and then when the bell rings at the end of the day, I take another 15 - 20 minutes and read a bit more - kind of a reward for getting through the day!!

This book, The Orchard, caught my eye in Target - but with my new-found resolve to not buy any more physical books, I resisted - and so I got it on Kindle.  The quality of this book is very uneven.  It's called a memoir, but when you read about the life of the author, you can see that she's fictionalized part of it anyway.

It's a compelling story and told well - but at the end it's like she said let's hurry up and finish and it seems rushed.  Too bad - but I notice that lots of modern, current fiction has this same problem.  Not a bad read but I'm glad I don't have a physical copy of it to worry about!
 

Our book group enjoyed Persian Pickle Club so much, we decided to try another book by the same author.  We randomly picked this one - at least I did - I was skimming through lists on my iPad as we were discussing what to read next.  I think it was a good choice - I finished it Saturday - it wasn't so much a page-turner as a book you didn't want to put down - there is something about a pioneer diary that puts life into perspective!

I have a habit of "reading an author" when I find one I like.  I remember in high school checking out every Sinclair Lewis book the library had!!  Did it with Edna Ferber, Ernest Hemingway, F. Scott Fitzgerald, and others.  I still do it - in recent years I've gone on an Ann Patchet kick, tried most of the books Anne Tyler has written, and even scoped out C.S. Forester!

Maybe my newest fad is Sandra Dallas - I'm reading Prayers for Sale right now - I'll let you know how it goes!

1 comment:

Karen said...

I am someone who reads through an author also. I have read several by Sandra Dallas. I remember really enjoying the Persian Pickle Club.