Saturday, March 30, 2013

What's a Saturday for, if not to read??


When I read the last Jacqueline Winspear Maisie Dobbs novel, I said, "Well, these are getting a little too boring for my taste.  Maybe I won't read the next one."  Then Amazon sent me a chance to pre-order.  So I did - but on Kindle - I'm keeping to my resolve not to buy any "books" this year - there are far too many taking over our lives already.

And Spring Break started yesterday.  And the library has no more Sandra Dallas novels for me to read - guess I will have to go hunting - so I started Maisie Dobbs - and spent today reading it!!

There is something to be said for a lazy Saturday spent reading.  And it's all good.

The story was compelling - at least I wanted to find out "who done it!"

So I did.  Maybe the fact that the story involves Indian immigrants to London and the whispers of war that are starting to swirl around made it more compelling this time.  But the weaknesses remain - stilted dialogue, excessive description that does not advance the story and isn't especially poetic or literary, and rather predictable plot lines - except for the criminals.

But I bet I read the next one too!

No comments: