Sunday, March 24, 2013

Marching along on the reading front!


Can you tell that I'm reading instead of doing other chores??  Just finished the latest on my Sandra Dallas list.  This story is set in 1942 - and involves a Japanese internment camp in Colorado.  The information is based on historical facts, but it's a novel - in fact, the library has it in the Young Adult Fiction section.  Not sure why - maybe because the narrator is a 13 year old girl.

Reading about this time period is enlightening.  According to data, generally speaking the camps were not hotbeds of dissent, and the surrounding towns seemed to get along fine with the internees.  But this was not true of the Colorado camp, and no one seems especially sure why this was.

The story is well-told, and the suspense is actually suspenseful!!  You might like it. Let me know if you do.

If you enjoy getting your history from novels - like I do - you might also enjoy Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet and Bat 6.

2 comments:

Pam said...

I loved Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. Will try this one and let you know. Thanks for the tip!

Amy Girl said...

I started Tallgrass several years ago and didn't get to it and had to return it to the library. I have checked it out again and plan to read it over spring break.