Saturday, March 16, 2013

The weekend movie and book review!!


So with Esme here for her Grandma's Birthday Weekend, some movie going was in order - and we chose Oz the Great and Powerful - a good choice.  The little china girl is a new fave character of mine!!
 

The reviews got it right - not a great film, but enjoyable and entertaining - a good film if you will.  Not too scary either - I think kids would not have nightmares from it - the girls and Noah gave it 2 or 3 thumbs up.  It's a film I'd put in my personal film library.
 

It's relationship to the Oz books is pretty close.  And James Franco is a fine Oz!
 

The flying monkey is a delightful addition to film lore too!  Give it a look-see soon!
 

Continuing on with my Sandra Dallas Read-A-Thon, just finished this one.  I think it's my fave so far - the main character keeps telling stories to a young woman in the town - and that's how you fill in the back story.  And there is character re-introduced from The Diary of Mattie Spencer - a nice touch.

A reason I'm behind in lots of things - busy reading instead!!  (and these have all been library books - I have not purchased any books this year - only on Kindle.)

3 comments:

Amy Girl said...

We saw Oz this weekend, and I can second your review.

I enjoy Sandra Dallas and have read all of her books. I read Whiter Than Snow. I agree with you, it is interesting when she re-introduces characters from previous books - she's done it before in Chili Queen if my memory serves me correctly. The Diary of Mattie Spencer is one of my all time favs. I don't re-read many books, but I've re-read that particular one 3 times.

Have you read These is My Words: The Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine by Nancy E. Turner? Also enjoyable.

Karen said...

I also enjoy Sandra Dallas, and though I do not think I have read all of her books, I have read a few. I guess I will look this one up!

grannybabs said...

I have read all the books in the These Is My Words saga - I think there were three of them. I get my history from well-written novels!!