Thursday, June 20, 2013

A thousand words indeed!


This month marks several important anniversaries that I intended to pontificate on.  I have too many projects going on - so what I do and say is liable to have a very "scatter-gun" kind of approach.

First of all, this month marks the death of Grandpa Terrill - aka "Pop" - on June 10, 1991.  It's also Father's Day.  And related but not totally related, it's the 46th anniversary of Harry P. Terrill Jr.'s return from his mission to Peru.

Grandpa Terrill died 22 years ago - and many of you don't have extensive memories of him.  I'm sure you treasure the memories you do have of him.  I certainly have a lot, and they are important to me, especially as we age and see things in different lights.

In all my sorting and purging, I came across a VHS tape of Terrill family home movies from 1951 to 1970.  We had it put on a DVD and sat and watched it for FHE this week!  Can I just say it was priceless - and watching Harry's reaction was half the fun??

There is lots of footage of Grandpa Terrill - and it says a lot about him.  (The footage of Harry, Jim, and Frances is pretty special too!)

So here is a photo of the the first Harry Francis Terrill with his wife Alberta Porter and his children Marjorie, Dorothy, Alberta, and Harry P.  We are not sure who the man is  - and someone will be able to sleuth out the make and model of the car.  Pop looks to be 8 or so, so this would be in the 1920's.  The heading in the scrapbook it came from called it an outing.

I think it tells quite a story - don't you?

2 comments:

Karen said...

I wonder if those are the same home movies I remember watching years ago with a projector. I loved those ones.

This picture is great, I love seeing grandpa and his family.

grannybabs said...

They could be - there can't be too many of them floating around - Grandma had these put on VHS a few years ago and I don't remember watching them then - but we could have. They are lots of fun to watch now though!