Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Long ago and very far away it seems!!

Monrovia High School has had a Teacher Honor Guard at their graduation ceremonies for the last few years.  Students are asked to invite teachers who have made a difference in their lives to attend the festivities.  This year a former student chose me.  There was a little reception beforehand, and then we donned robes and marched out ahead of the students.  We sat on the field and were part of the action, up close and personal you might say!!

I generally eschew graduation ceremonies because they seem to all degenerate into rowdiness and other less than enjoyable affairs.  But now I am thinking that it's because I am in the audience.  Being down on the field is a whole other matter!!

The Camarata Singers did a fine job.  The speakers were pretty good.  The band played well.  Only one beach ball was confiscated.  I saw 8 former students of mine graduate.

And I wasn't anywhere near the audience!

(The above photo is of my high school graduation in January of 1963 - that's right folks,  over 50 years ago!!  I am with my Grandpa Clayton and my Grandma Connie.  And she is wearing a hat!)

No comments: