Thursday, June 13, 2013

Some important anniversaries!


Not sure why - well, I do know why - but the last week or two has been crazy.  The fun trip to Minnesota put me behind at school - and the last week of school is busy-crazy always.  At any rate, two significant anniversaries - that I am known to note each year - slipped right by me.

June 10, 1967 - the day Harry returned from his mission.  I didn't see him right away - I think a couple of days passed before he called and then drove out to GH.  He invited me to go to the beach.  My mother might have questioned my sanity when I insisted that she go over to Moyne's house in Northridge and borrow her bouffant salon hair dryer - we did not have one in our house - and I had to wash and curl my hair before Harry came - even though we were going to the beach and the sea air would frizz it right up!  But she went and got it!!

All the kids were still in school - so it was relatively calm when he came.  He met everyone in due time - and saw them at their best and worst - and kept  coming back!!

I don't have any photos of that day - or even that summer - the above shot is from that fall at BYU - but I have very vivid memories of the time - and they have not dimmed at all!

June 10, 1991 is the day Pop died.  I don't have photos from that day either, but it remains vivid in my mind.  Pop died in his sleep.  We knew he was through suffering, and we knew we would see him again, but it was still hard to believe that he was no longer with us.

It's been 22 years - a long time indeed.  But we are a forever family.  And grateful indeed for that fact.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I was thinking about Grandpa this week, and how it has been 22 years since he passed away. I miss him.