Thursday, June 06, 2013

"No more pencils, no more books, no more teacher's cross-eyed looks . . ."

Last day of school today.  I was thinking about how school has played - and continues to play - a major role in my life.  I have been in a school mode for many years of my life - and that doesn't count my kids' school experiences.  I went to public school for 12 years.  I went to college for a B.A. for 5 years.   I did 2 years of graduate school.  I spent about 5 years getting a teaching credential - while I taught school on an emergency credential.  After subbing for 4 years, I have been teaching for 16 years.

When I think about our kids, the years really add up.  6 kids who went through 12 years each of public school.  5 kids with bachelor's degrees at about 4 years each.  3 kids with master's degrees at 2 or 3 years apiece.

Now we are also involved with our grandchildren and their school experiences.  And I haven't even counted Harry's "school years!"

When school is part of your daily life, summer vacation is too!!  That's the plus in the equation.  School is out - this last week was wearing - I had been gone for 2 days,  and there was lots of work that needed to be done before I could sign off and turn in my keys!  But I got the work done - and even left school today at 4 - but school had ended at 11:30, so I had a few hours.  

Every year I plan to use the "packing up" time to sort and purge and streamline things in the classroom.  And every year I reach the point where I just start stuffing things into cupboards!!

So August will find me having to do more sorting than I'd like to.  But until then I will just function in vacation mode!!

(I was noting that for an activity that really consumes a lot of my life, I really don't have very many "school" photos!)

No comments: