Saturday, June 29, 2013

High School Stories - Then and Now


There was little diversity in my high school when I attended.  In fact, there was little diversity in Granada Hills itself.  But we did have foreign exchange students - every year it seemed like there were at least two.  I remember this student from Japan, and there was also a girl from Japan.  I believe we had a sister city kind of relationship.

We also had two students from Finland.  I'm not sure what classes they had - they were never in the classes I was in.  

I vaguely remember this incident - it was actually a photo op for something in the local paper - we were probably called to be in it because we were in Girls' League and Student Council - and happened to be home and available that summer day!

When I think about it now, I recall that many of the students at my school were of Italian and Polish descent - and there was a kind of undercurrent of prejudice - but it was mostly the adults you heard it from - not the kids.  I was pretty unaware of what a fellow student's ethnic background was - and didn't much care about it.

There were also a lot of Jewish students.  The San Fernando Valley had large Jewish populations - they still do in fact.  

I wish I had been more aware - I could probably have learned some valuable life lessons.  The Holocaust wasn't that far in the past at that time, and I'm sure there were some powereful stories to be told.

There was a set of twin boys who were Jewish - and really bright and excellent students.  I think they shared valedictorian honors when they graduated.  They went on to high end Ivy-League schools.

Joe and Carl Jacobs.  I think it was Carl who made the cover of Time magazine - a story featuring the tragic loss of bright young soldiers in Vietnam!

The world seems to be coming full circle doesn't it??

No comments: