Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Hooray for blogging!


I was looking for a photo of Leslie and went to the photos from Joey and Mercy's wedding. I came across this shot of Sean and Keli at the wedding luncheon.

I remember Keli coming up to me and saying, "Hi Aunt Barbara - how great to see you." And I remember thinking - "Thank heavens for blogs, so that I know that this is Keli - and the baby she is carrying is Greta." Without blogging, I would have struggled to remember which bride of which of one of my brother's sons was this! (Sean was not with her - if Sean had been with her, I would have known it was Sean - I knew him as a baby, so I usually recognize him - he also looks like a Clayton - and that helps!!)

Those who criticize blogs obviously know all of their relatives and see them all the time.

I am not so fortunate - and so I have loved getting to know far- flung family better via blogging.

And I thought this was a sweet shot of this happy pair. (Karl always tells me I need to use pictures, and not just words.)

2 comments:

Keli said...

Okay, I never read your personal blog. I don't know why, it's nothing "personal". (I kill me, by the way). So imagine my surprise when today I was impressed to check your blog, only to see my great big face staring back at me! What a shock!

But I agree with your sentiments. I feel like I know you, and your kids, better than I know my own cousins, whom I used to see regularly. Maybe it's blogging, maybe it's fate, but whatever it is, it's definitely a blessing. I know that when I think of my closest friends and family, you all are definitely included in that genre, not just because of the blood relations, but because you are special to me for other reasons as well. Reasons that I have learned through your words, pictures, and actions, that you so eloquently express on your blogs. So thank you. You're great!

And I hope everything goes well with the knees! Please let me know if you need anything. I'm only a few thousand miles away!

grannybabs said...

Well, far away sympathy is always helpful!!

I have a friend who has a brain tumor - I was her visiting teacher - she's in Utah now - and she needed a lot of help from all of us.

And she would lament that we were all doing so much for her. So once I said, "If I needed help, and you were able to give it, I know you would." And she said, "Yes,I would." And thinking that thought seemed to give her peace.

Knowing someone would help if they could is a comfort - and a help.