Thursday, January 15, 2009

"When the family gets together. . "


My sister-in-law on the Clayton side called and wanted to know if there was a family reunion this year. Somehow, the reunions on both sides of the family have devolved onto my shoulders.

I'm wondering if I'm up to it. The Clayton one is pretty simple - just mail out flyers and go early to claim a spot at Huntington State Beach. Well, there is a bit more - we have to buy food and collect money, but it's mostly just work the week before - once the flyers have been mailed anyway.

The Terrill one is more complex - since the number of people who will come is directly related to where we have it. And Grandma says she's really not up to travel anymore.

It's definitely going to be a decision Harry and I will have to make. We don't have a summer break at the temple anymore - the closing dates are May and November instead of August and December - like they have been for a hundred years!!

I keep reading about all these fantastic family reunions that take place in glamorous locations - it's kind of like the perfect grandchildren photos I always see!!

Hmm - something more to stress about - seems like an oxymoron doesn't it??

3 comments:

amy k said...

Trust me, Stress is nothing you want in your life.

It does sound like a hard decision to make.....family is always so great to be around. Good luck.

Amy Girl said...

Yes, it is unfortunate that this falls on your shoulders. I too hear about wonderful family reunions. Most of which take time and money. I struggle with extended family reunions - while it's great to see everyone, sometimes I don't get to see my immediate family as much as I would like, so why not put my time and money into spending time with them?

I do like the idea of choosing a destination a year or more ahead of time for an extended family reunion. It would be great to find a place which could accomidate many families. A lodge with cabins in the mountains, on a lake with houseboats, or even something as fancy as a cruise or tropical destination. There really are some amazing things to do and see, but I can see the beauty of the simple one day reunion at Huntington Beach as well. Is there still interest in having extended Terrill family reunions? It seems like they are attended well by your family, not so much the others. I think that might be because your children get together often and enjoy one another and make the effort to be together whenever possible.

One more thought. I really think, unfortunately, it falls on the mother and father of the family to make sure reunions happen. My mom has never enjoyed doing anything like reunions, so we just don't do them. Phil's parents didn't do them either. Except for once when we all went to Colorado and stayed in condos - it was an awesome week, but we never did it again. These experiences have taught me that it is going to be up to Phil and I to keep our own family connected. You and uncle Harry seem to have figured this out, and do a fine job at gathering your children together.

bonny with a Y said...

i'm glad brian is in our family picture.