Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sunday in the city


It's Sunday, and I have a presidency meeting tonight - we are getting things in gear for the Women's Conference on January 31st!!

I work with some wonderful women - and they have taught me a great lesson.

I never was president of anything - except Granada Hills High School eons ago - until I was called as Young Women's President back in 1996. It seemed a bit daunting, but I remember Phoebe going with me to Sav-on and we bought bags full of stuff that she said would work with the values, etc. (I did end up using most of the stuff - but must confess that a lot of it got used for Relief Society instead!)

Somehow feeling that I had stuff ready made the task less daunting. I plunged into it - and ended up having Hannah and Eliza in my fold, and Harry was the bishop and we just brought Noah along so it seemed like a big family activity.

I had good counselors and other personnel, but I made the grave error of doing way too much of it myself. I had lots of reasons - some of my counselors had conflicts and couldn't do certain things, sometimes I waited too long and felt bad about asking anyone else, sometimes I wanted it done my way and just did it.

Even though I loved the girls and loved the assignment, I have always been sorry that I didn't delegate more and didn't involve the girls themselves more in the planning and implementation.

The good news: in retrospect I have learned how important it is to let go and let others do things their way. And so I have delegated. And it has been a good experience.

I haven't especially gotten out of having to do things, but I have been able to do more things that were maybe more important for me to do, while others did the jobs that were important for them to do.

So now we are planning our big event of the year - I will let you know how it goes!!

4 comments:

bonny with a Y said...

i'm sure it will be a fabulous conference.

Alice said...

I am just trying to meet all the sisters in the ward. They don't seem to have an updated list so it is slow going. I just hope to one day get everyone a visiting teacher. Right now only 45 sisters are assigned a VT. That doesn't mean that 45 get visited but it is a start. The language barrier is huge but I try.

Alice said...

your hair looks great. I thought it was short. Is this an old picture?

grannybabs said...

This shot is a year old - my hair is short.