Monday, November 01, 2010

Daily Gratitude Journal


I was reading a magazine article today about how significant it is to focus on gratitude. There are mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual benefits that we enjoy when we focus on what we have, and not on what we don't have.

Over the years, I have started more than one "gratitude journal" but haven't ever been very consistent. And I may not be very consistent this time - after all - I only got to 1997 in my 40 years of posts about our then 40 years of marriage - which are now approaching 43 years!!

But if it's helpful to do so, then doing so for any length of time is probably helpful too!!

Today I am grateful for so many good memories! I have been sending Bonny "Bontober B-day Wishes" for 32 days now - I'm planning to send 40 of them - in honor of her 40th birthday - and I have been trying to include a "memory" in each one. How wonderful it is to ponder a special day or a special time or a special dress or a special doll - and to find a measure of joy in doing so.

Think of a happy memory today. Or better still, make a happy memory today that you or someone you love can relive in the days, months, and years ahead!

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

One of my favorite talks about gratitude is by Pres. Eyring in the Oct. 2007 General Conference entitled, "Oh Remember, Remember". It can be found here:

http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=88562bce258f5110VgnVCM100000176f620a____&vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD

After I heard that talk I set up a section within my regular journal and call it: My Gratitude Section. I always enjoy going back and reading past entries.