Sunday, November 07, 2010

Daily Gratitude Journal


Perhaps you have noticed that I am going through our children, one by one, noting some of the reasons why I am so grateful for each one of you. And today's star is Eliza!!

Like Phoebe, Eliza came after a long wait. Unlike Phoebe, others came quickly after she did!! But that did not diminish my enjoyment of this sweet little girl - who early on showed that she had a mind of her own! I have come to know that her single-minded sense of purpose has been a blessing in her life - take note of that, all you parents out there. Qualities that may seem to make your life a little more difficult at times are often qualities that we actually should be fostering!

Eliza was a quiet child - something that wasn't the usual in our household. And she was very thoughtful - thoughtful as in being kind, but also thoughtful as in thinking things through! She was very deliberate and thorough - something of a perfectionist too.

And I miss her wonderful piano skills in our silent household!!

Looking forward to our upcoming visit!!

2 comments:

Eliza said...

Thanks for the kind words. On a related note, Theo has apparently inherited much of his personality from me. I think it's good to open up doors and show kids how to act differently in some situations from what might be natural. For instance I want him to learn how to be polite even when he doesn't want to talk to someone; and although he has strong emotions for good and bad, he needs to learn how to keep some of them to himself when appropriate. But it's also been a blessing to embrace his personality and just enjoy him for being him.

I'm thankful for parents who sometimes let me be me, and other times showed me how to act properly so that others would be comfortable too. I still try to strike that balance (and it is still hard sometimes) and I know I was blessed to have been shown what to do early on.

grannybabs said...

Theo is a lot like you were as a little kid - actually he's a little better at expressing his needs!! Looks like you are doing a great job raising him!